A Dozen Timeless Ways to be Happy!
Our passions, expectations, life experiences, and even our personalities all contribute to the level of happiness we experience in our lives.
No matter how you define happiness for yourself, there are certain universal and time-proven strategies to bring, and sustain, more happiness into your life.
The following one dozen timeless ways to be happy can be adapted and even customized to fit your needs.
Over time, these strategies will become positive and life-changing habits that will begin to bring more happiness, joy and peace into your life.
Notice What’s Right
Some of us see the glass as being half-full and others see the glass as half-empty.
The next time you are caught in traffic, begin thinking how nice it is to have a few moments to reflect on the day, focus on a problem you have been trying to solve, or brainstorm on your next big idea.
The next time you get in the slow line at the grocery store, take the opportunity to pick up a tabloid magazine and do some guilty pleasure reading.
Take all that life throws out you and reframe it with what’s right about the situation.
At the end of the day, you will more content, at peace and happy.
Take the time to begin to notice what’s right and see the world change in front of your eyes.
How many times do you say the words thank you, in a day?
How many times do you hear these same words?
If you are doing the first thing, saying the thank yous, the latter will naturally happen.
Learn to be grateful and you will be open to receive an abundance of joy and happiness.
Remember the Kid You Were
Do you remember how to play?
I’m not referring to playing a round of golf or a set of tennis.
I’m talking about playing like you did when you were a child a game of tag; leap frog, or street baseball when the bat is a broken broom handle and the bases are the parked cars.
One way to find or maintain your happiness is to remember the kid you were and play!
There is no question that by merely watching acts of kindness creates a significant elevation in our moods and increases the desire for us to perform good deeds as well.
Kindness is indeed contagious and when we make a commitment to be kind to ourselves and to others we can experience new heights of joy, happiness and enthusiasm for our lives.
Spend Time with Your Friends
Although an abundant social and romantic life does not itself guarantee joy, it does have a huge impact on our happiness.
Learn to spend time with your friends and make the friendships a priority in your life.
Savor Every Moment
To be in the moment is to live in the moment.
Too often we are thinking ahead or looking ahead to the next event or circumstance in our lives, not appreciating the Å“here and now.
When we savor every moment, we are savoring the happiness in our lives.
There are times when we need the time to unwind, decompress, or to put it simply, just to chill.
Life comes at all of us hard and fast.
Time, as do the days on the calendar, keeps going forward at its own natural pace, which is not always the pace we would choose.
Fatigue, stress and exhaustion may begin to settle in on us faster than we may think, or notice.
The best remedy for this is indeed rest.
The expression a runner’s high does not infer an addiction, but a feeling or a state of mind – a state of euphoria.
There is no question exercise, or any physical exertion, elevates your mood and enhances a more positive attitude as well as fosters better personal self-esteem and confidence.
Indeed, one way to increase your happiness is to move!
Put on a Happy Face
Sometimes we have to fake it until we make it.
I’m not suggesting that we not be honest, real or authentic, but I’m suggesting, sometimes, we just need to put on a happy face and keep moving forward.
Researchers claim that smiling and looking like we are happy will indeed make us happier.
Studies further show that if we act like we are happy then we can experience greater joy and happiness in our lives.
Pursue Your Goals
The absence of goals in our lives, or more specifically avoiding to pursue our goals, makes us feel like we are stuck and ineffective.
The pursuit of goals in our personal lives, in our relationships, or with our careers, is the difference between having a mediocre life or a life full of passion and enthusiasm.
Pursue your goals and watch your happiness soar.
Finding Your Calling
Some find meaning in religion or spirituality while others find purpose in their work or relationships.
Finding your calling may be much more than accomplishing one simple strategy for increasing your happiness, but having a sense of purpose of feeling like you are here for a reason can perhaps bring the greatest joy of all.
Get into the Flow
Flow is the form of joy, excitement and happiness that occurs when we are so absorbed in an activity we love that we can lose ourselves and time seems to stand still.
What creates flow is unique to each one of us.
To find and sustain true happiness in our lives, we must get off the sidelines and get into the flow.
And two more just to sweeten the pot a little more.
Play to Your Strengths
One way to achieve flow is by understanding and identifying our strengths and core values, and then begin to use these every day.
Once we aware of our strengths and we begin to play to your strengths we can better incorporate them in all aspects of our lives.
Don’t Overdo It.
Know when to say when.
What gives you joy and happiness the first time may not work the second time.
Too much of a good thing may begin not to feel as good if the thing becomes more of a routine, or an expectation.
Set healthy and reasonable boundaries for yourself and don’t overdo it.
Overwegcompound--I'm a spiritual, meditative, analysis, single, divorce christian man, with no children.
stories & tales
- @BarackObama Amen 2 days ago
- RT @BarackObama: "...For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite." - Nelson Mandela 2 days ago
- RT @BarackObama: "People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love..." 2 days ago
- RT @BarackObama: "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." https://t.co/… 2 days ago
- RT @aaronofseyer: 🐛🐛🐛The hazards of live TV outdoors: https://t.co/TfZcv6Qe5M 1 week ago
- Do not just GO through life, GROW through life... 4 weeks ago
- RT @greglaurie: Periodically evaluate what you are doing and who you are doing it with. Ask, “Is this is a wing or is it a weight?” 2 months ago
- RT @greglaurie: Our greatest battles don’t usually come when we are working hard. They come when we are bored and our guard is down. #world… 3 months ago
- The Gift of Marginalia intouch.org/read/magazine/… 3 months ago
- RT @realDonaldTrump: Today on Earth Day, we celebrate our beautiful forests, lakes and land. We stand committed to preserving the natural b… 3 months ago
- RT @realDonaldTrump: I am committed to keeping our air and water clean but always remember that economic growth enhances environmental prot… 3 months ago
- @realDonaldTrump Then protect the Great Lakes the largest fresh water in the world & not take money away The Asian… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 months ago
- WATCH: The internet has gone cuckoo for the Elvis-impersonating cockatoo joe.ie/life-style/wat… via @joedotie 4 months ago
- michigan.org/blog/guest-blo… 5 months ago
- RT @brentashcroft: Star Wars 'Make-A-Wish' surprise at airport for boy with rare illness (Via WZZM 13) @HamillHimself https://t.co/jNcAYh… 5 months ago
- RT @AudraEqualityMc: Remember, tomorrow we are not crowning a king, or bowing down to a dictator. Tomorrow our new employee starts his temp… 7 months ago
- You are the Temple of God myjourneywithgod.org/single-post/20… 8 months ago
- Creativity: Approaching a need, a task, or an idea from a new perspective. 3 years ago
- Tolerance: Accepting others at different levels of maturity. 3 years ago
- Resourcefulness: Making wise use of what others might overlook and discard. 3 years ago
- abc's (6)
- accept (11)
- acceptance (46)
- affirmations (32)
- age (12)
- alphabet (4)
- alternatives (9)
- attitude (97)
- bible (162)
- bible study (102)
- cat (1)
- children (34)
- christian (403)
- christianity (200)
- church (24)
- comedy (48)
- comic (53)
- culture (51)
- daily (31)
- death (23)
- dog (6)
- end times (1)
- faith (23)
- feelings (62)
- friend (18)
- fruit (6)
- funny (60)
- God (99)
- handicap (9)
- happiness (26)
- heaven (17)
- hell (16)
- humor (64)
- hurts (14)
- insecurity (19)
- inspiration (47)
- jesus (76)
- life (100)
- lives (39)
- living (51)
- love (29)
- military (1)
- miscellaneous (52)
- mother (2)
- multiculture (11)
- nation (4)
- pain (18)
- parable (53)
- patience (31)
- peace (36)
- people (48)
- Philosophy (81)
- poem (43)
- positive (37)
- prayer (33)
- proverbs (38)
- religion (22)
- security (15)
- short story (214)
- sin (15)
- spiritual (51)
- stanley (64)
- story (31)
- stress (18)
- thinking (86)
- thoughts (123)
- time (8)
- truth (57)
- truths (28)
- Uncategorized (272)
- usa (1)
- ways to reduce stress (8)
- words (19)
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- October 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
dust in the wind tagsaccept affirmations age angels attitude bible bible study blessings child children christian christianity christmas church comedy comic culture death easter end times faith feelings forgive forgiveness funny gifts God heaven hell holy spirit hope humor hurts inner-peace insecurity inspiration jesus kids life list lives living love miscellaneous mother new year new years pain parable peace people Philosophy poem positive pray prayer relationships religion rewards security short story sin spiritual stanley story stress thanks thanksgiving thinking thoughts time time management truth valentine world
- You’re an Original August 18, 2017Each of us is an original from God’s hand. There are no self-made men or women. No one ever became talented, buffed, or bright all by himself or herself. God made each of us all by Himself. He thought of us and formed us out of His unspeakable love. God made your body, mind, and soul. And He isn’t done with you; He is still making you. His single-minded purp […]David H. Roper
- Promise of a Peaceful Home August 17, 2017Sixty-five million. That’s the number of refugees in our world today—people who have had to leave their homes due to conflict and persecution—and it’s higher than it’s ever been. The UN has petitioned leaders to work together in receiving refugees so that every child will get an education, every adult will find meaningful work, and every family will have a h […]Amy Peterson
- Not Fear but Faith August 16, 2017“My husband was offered a promotion in another country, but I feared leaving our home, so he reluctantly declined the offer.” My friend explained how apprehension over such a big change kept her from embracing a new adventure, and that she sometimes wondered what they missed in not moving. The Israelites let their anxieties paralyze them when they were calle […]Amy Boucher Pye
- You’re an Original August 18, 2017
- Like Yourself August 18, 2017Geel is a charming town in Belgium with a unique population—a significant percentage of the people there have a diagnosis of mental illness. Host families to these persons are given no details of their guests’ diagnoses. Instead, they welcome their guests into the community like anyone else. “I have seen coffee served in a cafe with as much deference to acti […]Monica Brands
- He Will Supply August 17, 2017For many years Estelle and her husband worked as missionaries, relying on the financial generosity of others while they shared the love of God through their ministry. Money was often tight. On one occasion, Estelle went into her room to pray about their lack of funds. Opening her Bible, she read these words: “This same God who takes care of me will supply al […]Sheridan Voysey
- Astounding God August 16, 2017My son and I constructed a model of the solar system in which each planet is aligned near the next. Looking at this contraption, one might think that real planets aren’t very far from each other. But that’s not the case: if the Sun was the size of a basketball, the bb-sized Earth would be located 31 yards away, and the small planetoid Pluto would be 1,232 ya […]Peter Chin
- Like Yourself August 18, 2017