NINETEEN SOMETHINGS TO SAY TO CHILDREN
1. I love you! There is nothing that will make me stop loving you. Nothing
you could do or say or think will ever change that.
2. You are amazing! I look at you with wonder! Not just at what you can do,
but who you are. There is no one like you. No one!
3. It’s all right to cry. People cry for all kinds of reasons: when they
are hurt, sad, glad, or worried; when they are angry, afraid, or lonely.
Big people cry too. I do.
4. You’ve made a mistake. That was wrong. People make mistakes. I do. Is
it something we can fix? What can we do? It’s all over. You can start
fresh. I know you are sorry. I forgive you.
5. You did the right thing. That was scary or hard. Even though it wasn’t
easy, you did it. I am proud of you; you should be too.
6. I’m sorry. Forgive me. I made a mistake.
7. You can change your mind. It’s good to decide, but it is also fine to
8. What a great idea! You were really thinking! How did you come up with
that? Tell me more. Your mind is clever!
9. That was kind. You did something helpful and thoughtful for that person.
That must make you feel good inside. Thank you!
10. I have a surprise for you. It’s not your birthday. It’s for no reason
at all. Just a surprise, a little one, but a surprise.
11. I can wait. We have time. You don’t have to hurry this time.
12. What would you like to do? It’s your turn to pick. You have great
ideas. It’s important to follow your special interests.
13. Tell me about it. I’d like to hear more. And then what happened? I’ll
14. I’m right here. I won’t leave without saying good-bye. I am watching
you. I am listening to you.
15. Please and Thank You. These are important words. If I forget to use
them, will you remind me?
16. I missed you. I think about you when we are not together!
17. Just try. A little bit. One taste, one step. You might like it. Let’s
see. I’ll help you if you need it. I think you can do it.
18. I’ll help you. I heard you call me, here I am. How can I help you? If we
both work together, we can get this done. I know you can do it by yourself,
but I’m glad to help since you asked.
19. What do you wish for? Even if it’s not yet time for birthday candles
and we don’t have a wishbone, it’s still fun to hear about what you wish
for, hope for, and dream about
— Author Unknown